Friday, January 31, 2014

DIY: Fabric Embroidery Wall Art

     About a year ago, I started buying embroidery hoops at thrift stores whenever I'd stumble upon them. At first, it was with the intention of  bettering my cross stitching skills. Then, it switched to having a focal fabric wall. I have more than enough hoops for both projects now, but have done neither. Womp, womp, womp. So, when I got snowed in on a day that I was supposed to visit some of my old friends from Cleveland, I decided to drown my sorrows in a few projects for Rags and Roses. I still didn't have enough fabric for my original wall art idea, but I did have scrap fabric, old pictures, and cardstock. The picture above was my finished product, and I'm pretty happy with it. This easy project is a great way to use leftover supplies and display photos in another way besides a frame.
I made a few variations of these. The first was using fabric, images cut from a Smash journal, and hot glue. This would work just as well with images from magazines or your own photos. Just insert the fabric into the hoop, tighten the outer ring, and pull the fabric tightly so there are no wrinkles. Arrange and glue your chosen images, and then cut the access fabric from the edges.
The next one was done with a photo I took/doodled on, and some thread. I just stitched it onto the fabric, and secured it with a few knots on the back.
The next two were done with scrapbook paper. I will admit, it's harder to secure the thick paper into the hoop than the fabric. But, once you have it in, it's a much sturdier surface that you could easily glue or write on. I used leftover fake flowers and another photo of mine, both put on with hot glue.
I love how versatile these are. You can easily customize them for any room, or even as a gift; how cute would these be filled with photos of a loved one for Valentines Day!? I plan on making many more of these for a statement wall. 
I hope these provide you with tons of wall art inspo.
With love,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts