Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Four Ways to Style Short Hair

     I've always been fairly fickle with my hair. It's been long, short, dark blue, and bright purple. I've had bangs, layers, and everything in between. But, up until about a year and a half ago, I was set on keeping it my long and flowy locks just as they were. But, the universe had other plans, and I received THE WORST CUT EVER, causing me to take the plunge into the world of short hair. Now that I have an amazing stylist who I trust wholeheartedly (bless you, Tori) and a better grasp on how to manage short hair, I honestly can't imagine ever growing it back out.
     Short hair, to me, is not only easier to style, but it just looks and feels healthier. I always had crazy dry and split ends, and having a shorter style has been like I reset button for me. Some people might think that you can't do as much with a shorter style, but I find it so versatile and fun to play around with. So, I wanted to share a few of the different ways I like to style my short hair. Let's get into it!
Loose and Wavy// This is my favorite way to style my locks. I have very thick, wavy hair so I find that this look works best for me. I typically don't blow dry my hair, but if I do, I'll spray in sea salt spray (like this one or this one) beforehand so that my hair has grip. Then, I'll just use my styling wand to get a more uniform wave. I got this one at T.J. Maxx for under $25! I find that alternating between curling towards your face, then away will give you the most natural-looking results. After my hair is curled, I'll apply a texturing spray for extra hold, volume, and, of course, texture. These are some of my favorites: 1, 2, 3, 4. Finally, I just run my fingers through my hair, and finish with hair spray. 
The Top Knot// This is a style that I rock mostly around the house or out running errands, because I have a five-finger forehead that the world is not ready for. But, nevertheless, its a style that I quite like. I only wash my hair a couple of times a week, so this look is likely to start with dry shampoo (like this, or this) sprayed into the roots, and "massaged" into the scalp to absorb oil. Then, I simply secure the top section of my hair into a loose bun and tuck any loose ends in with bobby pins. Easy as pie.
Up-Do Tuck// This is one that I wear at work on days that I just need my hair to be off of my neck and ears. This one holds best under second or third day hair conditions, so I start with dry shampoo. I then spritz my ends with sea salt spray before gathering all of the hair that will actually fit back into a low "pony tail". I then tuck that pony tail under, and use the hair tie as a way to secure bobby pins into the base of my head. (Is any of this making sense?) Basically, just tuck what hair or loose ends that won't fit into the pony tail with pins and hair spray the heck out of it. I find that it not only gets your hair off of your neck or shoulders, but gives the illusion of longer hair worn in an up-do. Tricky, tricky.
Sleek and Straight// For no other reason than laziness, I hardly ever straighten my hair. But, I find, especially after a fresh cut, that it looks really sleek and modern with short hair. I use a heat protecting spray (like this or this) at the ends of my hair before straightening with the same old straightener my sister bought me in high school. I finish with a light amount of texture spray, so that my hair doesn't look too flat, and voila! 
Repeat after me: short hair is fun! I am constantly finding new ways to liven up my new(ish) do, whether it be with color or a simple new style. I feel more like myself with this cut, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. What is your favorite of the four I've shared above? Have I convinced any of you to take the plunge into short hair? Leave a comment below with your go-to hair style, short or long.
Thanks for reading!
-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts