Monday, March 31, 2014

Recipe: Fried Pickles

Fried food is amazing. Like, can we just take a moment to truly appreciate things dipped in batter and cooked in hot oil? Yes, please. Fried food, to me, is super reminiscent of my town's annual Oktoberfest. The one weekend I have absolutely no self-control whatsoever, and indulge in things like deep fried Oreos, veggies, and cheese. It's probs good that I limit my extreme eating habits to one this weekend out of the year, but also a but of a downer. Because, ya know, delicious food. So, I'm here today with a snack to put all other snacks to shame: fried pickles.
Set up a "station" for yourself, with three separate dishes of flour, pickle juice, and Italian bread crumbs. Just use your best estimating skills, based on how many pickle slices you want to end up with, when "measuring" your ingredients. This is not an exact recipe by any means. Sprinkle a few dashes of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and all-purpose seasoning into the flour, and mix around with a fork. 
Begin breading your pickles; starting with the flour, then the pickle juice, and finishing in the bread crumbs. Here's a tip: delegate one hand for handling the dry portion of the breading process, and the other for the wet portion. This will make things less messy. 
Once you have all your pickles breaded, pour just enough oil into a pan to cover the bottom and set on medium heat. Use an oil with a mild flavor, like vegetable or canola. Sprinkle a small amount of bread crumbs into the oil to see if it's hot enough. If the crumbs bubble, go ahead and carefully add your pickles into the oil. 
These little guys only take about a minute and a half per side. When they are golden brown on both sides, remove them from the pan and let them drain on a plate over some paper towels. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, and enjoy!
There you have it, folks; fair food at home. I like to serve mine with a mixture of ranch dressing and hot sauce. Fair warning: these things are dangerous. I could literally take out an entire jar fried up all by myself. Enjoy them today, and work them off later. Or not. It's your call.
-Heather

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE fried pickles! When I first heard of them I thought they sounded totally weird and disgusting, but they are actually amazing!

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! I LOVE fried pickles..actually it's the only way I like pickles! Love this step by step diagram. Totally going to try these :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts