Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Recipe: Easy Vegetarian Pot-Pie

As the only vegetarian in my family, I do my best not to hassle anyone with special food requests or point out why I can't eat certain things. It has been a personal choice to exclude meat from my diet, and I really don't expect others to have to appease this. But, I will say that as the years have gone on, my family has surprised me by making sure I don't go without during get-togethers or holidays. Both of my grandmothers usually have some variety of veggie burger on hand, and my mother and sister have been willing to exchange ground beef for soy products whenever we make chili or lasagna; which is awesome. So, when my mom adapted a traditional pot pie recipe for little ol' me, I knew I had to share it. Actually, I knew it after I tasted it. Because it is really freaking good.
Ingredients:
Pre-made pie crust
1 pound package frozen mixed veggies
2 medium redskin potatoes
2-3 cups vegetable stock
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
salt, pepper, and all-purpose seasoning (like Mrs. dash) to taste
1 egg
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place one of the pre-made pie dough layers into a pie plate. Boil water in two saucepans, one for the mixed veggies and one for the potatoes, and cook the veggies until tender. Drain and set aside. In another pan, melt your butter and whisk in the flour until you have a rue. Then slowly mix in the vegetable stock; starting with two cups, then adding more to thin out the gravy if needed. Add your seasonings to gravy, and adjust to taste. Add the veggies to the gravy, and stir until they are evenly coated. Pour your filling into the pie crust, then place the remaining layer on top. Pinch the edges closed, either with your fingers or a fork, and poke holes over the top layer of crust with a fork. In a small bowl, mix one egg and a splash of water with a fork. Brush a layer of this mixture over the top, and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check on the pot-pie at the halfway point to see browning progress. If the edges are getting too dark before the pie is done, remove the pie from the oven and cover the outside with foil, and continue baking.
And, there you have it! Semi-homemade veggie pot-pie. If you're feeling more ambitious, you could certainly swap out fresh veggies and scratch-baked crust. But, sometimes grocery shortcuts are a godsend, folks. This dish is the perfect comfort food; very filling and flavorful. And, in case you didn't know, the best way to get your recommended dose of vegetables is by smothering them in gravy. 
Until next time,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts