Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Recipe: Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

     If you are anything like me,soup is considered it's own food group. Creamy, cheesy, brothy, tomato, potato; whatever! I love 'em all. As a vegetarian, I often find my soup choices are limited when I dine out-especially with tortilla soup- which is sucky. So, I'm here today with a recipe to cure your vegetarian soup blues! And, trust me, even you meat-eaters will love this one.
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons cumin
10 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
10 ounces canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
14-20 ounces of vegetable broth (I suggest low sodium )
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can of black beans
 To Garnish/Serve:
Tortilla chips
Shredded cheese
1/2 diced avocado
cilantro
Dice your pepper and onion into small pieces, and put into a soup pot with the olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic cloves and cumin, and heat until the veggies are tender.
Next, add in your canned ingredients. Stir until the contents are combined, and bring to a boil.
     After your tomato and veggie mixture is boiling, add 14 ounces (or a can full) of vegetable broth to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. If the soup gets too thick, simply add more broth and adjust your seasonings.
When you are ready to serve, crush some tortilla chips into your bowl and ladle soup over it.
I like to finish mine off with cilantro, avocado, and cheese. Sour cream and hot sauce would also be acceptable fixings. 
Well, I'm off to eat all twelve servings of my soup. I hope you all enjoy this one.
Until next time,
Heather

(Recipe adapted from here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts