Friday, October 25, 2013

My DIY Halloween Costume

     So, I LOVE Halloween. Like, pretty much more than anything else ever. And, costumes for me require a lot of planning and thought. Especially because I like the spooky, realistic, or character costumes; none of that sexy officer crap. I try to avoid buying anything full price, but especially anything Halloween/holiday related; hello, inflation. Instead, I take the DIY approach, and I have to say its much more rewarding than buying bad quality get-ups in plastic bags. I made this costume for a grand total of $3.50, mostly by using things I already had on hand. It's also a no-sew project, so it's even easier for everyone!

My inspo for the costume came from The original video to "Fri-end? by Kate Nash, where they essentially recreate an episode of Buffy. Why would I look anywhere else?

     I used an old dress I had on hand, Mod Podge craft glue and hot glue (Either will work fine, I just ran out of Mod Podge half-way through and made the switch to hot glue.), scissors, and a white sheet I found at Goodwill.
     I cut the sheet into strips, and glued them down to the dress; overlapping for a layered effect. I will say I ran into a few speed bumps along the way because the sheet fabric didn't have any give to it. This caused the dress to be much too tight. It was an easy fix, though. I was fortunate enough to have a friend with a dress-form on hand, that she so graciously lent me. This allowed me to take my measurements into consideration while gluing. If you can't use a dress form, you can just stack a few books inside the top of the dress to match your measurements as best you can. Or, visit the Thread Bangers Youtube video on a DIY body form, here!
Before.
     And, voila! This was my finished product. I made the headband from scrap fabric, added a bit of grey eye shadow, and red "blood" lipstick for a spooky touch. I'm really happy with the final result of this costume, and even more so with how much money I saved myself; yeah, I am really cheap.
     Now go creep yourself up, and do The Monster Mash. I'll leave you with the video that inspired my mummy duds. Happy Halloweeny!
With love,
Heather

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts