Friday, March 11, 2016

Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers

I am a firm believer in semi-homemade meals, especially given that I work two jobs. By the end of the day, I'm ready for something quick, easy, and satisfying. These peppers fit that description perfectly. Stuffed peppers in general are a dream because there are so many variations and its a great way to use up leftovers, like rice or beans; whatever! Just put it in a pepper, y'all. I decided to go in a Mediterranean direction with mine, though. So, here's the scoop!
Pick your favorite seasoned boxed rice mix, and cook according to the package directions. I used a garlic-basil brown rice and quinoa mix from Aldi, and I loved the end result. Remove the stems from your peppers(I used red, yellow, and orange peppers), cut the tops off, and scoop out the seeds from the inside. Dice the tops that you removed, along with a red onion and two garlic cloves. Saute your veggies over medium heat with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, and all-purpose seasoning (like Mrs. Dash) until softened. In a large mixing bowl, combine your rice, veggies, a can of chick peas, a handful of feta cheese, the juice of half a lemon, and a pinch of fresh dill. Spoon the mixture into the peppers, and top with mozzarella cheese. I ended up cutting my peppers in half to really stretch the meal for leftovers, but you could leave them whole. Bake at 350 degrees until the peppers are soft and the cheese has melted.  
I served my peppers alongside falafels (also from a box mix), fresh veggies, hummus, and a ridiculously simple cucumber-dill yogurt sauce (really through, the only three ingredients are in the name of the sauce; so easy). I'd love to know if you try these out, or what your favorite semi-homemade meals are, so leave a comment below! 
Until next time,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Good recipe and have a good day

    http://historiassparacontarr.blogspot.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts