Thursday, April 28, 2016

Wear It for You

"I could never pull that off." 
"I wish I could wear something like that."
I can't tell you how many times I have heard various women in my life make these statements, as if there is an archetype of style standards set for them that they cannot deviate from. Where are thoughts like this born? Could it be from various fashion magazines telling us how to dress for our body type, what hair cut fits the shape of our face, the makeup that works with our skin tone. Why is it that we see certain things as off limits to ourselves, even though we admire them on others? This is something that I've been chewing on lately, with the general feeling of boredom that always seems to be present with my appearance. I've been noticing myself drift away from some of my favorite pieces (such as hats, heels, bright lipsticks, etc.) in fear that I look as if I'm playing dress up; that something may not look as good on me as someone else with the better body/higher confidence/clearer skin. That's exactly what I felt like when I put the outfit on that I'm wearing above. Like, the flowy shirt made me look pregnant (which I'm not, of course) and boxy. That the hat drew too much attention. That the heels looked stupid on my already tall frame. BUT, WHO THE F CARES!? Why do we create these internal battles? The women I love most are confident and unapologetically themselves. That's what I want to be. I figure that an outfit is as good of place as any to start. So, I put on the shirt, the hat, and the heels. And, I have to say that I looked damn good, felt pretty okay.
Moral of the story: wear whatever you want, whenever you want. Whether you are seventeen or seventy-two. Whether you are pear, apple, carrot, or, broccoli shaped; just put it on and rock the hell out of it. 
-Heather

Outfit Details:
Hat- H&M
Top- Urban Outfitters
Denim- Gabriel Brothers
Heels- Forver 21
Bag- Old Navy
Sunnies- T.J. Maxx

4 comments:

  1. Love the look and love the message! Thanks for the mention, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically my first thought when I saw the pictures was "WOW she looks great! Wish I could wear a hat like that!" So thank you for sharing these thoughts, I think they're really important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought upon seeing these photos were "WOW she looks great! I wish I could pull off hats like that", then BAM, you read my mind. Thanks for sharing those thoughts, I think they're really important

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! Your style is so cute and I've been going through all of the pages looking at your outfits. Love this message too!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts